Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pictures and sounds.

Here are some photos and a video clip to demonstrate the uilleann pipe drones I constructed in the shop. This is my first prototype set of drones. Next come the three regulators, and of course , the chanter for this set.

Though I have made a couple of chanters before, they were not ones I would want to play myself. So, the goal is to produce a fully-keyed chanter that performs reasonably well. The regulators must meet similar criteria.

Many thanks go to Bill Haneman and to David Quinn,
who provided so much valuable instruction. Without them, this set would have been far less than what it is. For instance, Bill's excellent article on constructing a hollow main stock, and David's classic article on the Taylor drones were relied-upon. In addition, both David and Bill taught a week-long seminar on uilleann pipe making that I attended at the 2009 Willie Clancey Summer School. If my first instrument is playable at all, it's a testimony to their teaching and writing ability. Thanks again!

-Dirk

1 comment:

  1. By the way, the chanter pictured here was made by Kirk Lynch. It's the one I like to play most often.

    ReplyDelete